- 1 What Are the Symptoms of Penile Numbness?
- 2 What Are the Causes of Penile Numbness?
- 3 How Do You Treat Penile Numbness?
- 4 More Readings
The penis is a delicate organ filled with nerves. These nerves act as “cables” that transmit information from the brain to the different organs. When these nerves are damaged, information will not go through perfectly and will cause problems.
What Are the Symptoms of Penile Numbness?
When the penis is numb, sensitivity is lost, and you would not be able to feel what you used to feel when it is touched.
The symptoms differ and are usually dependent on the cause. Here are a few symptoms that you may experience when you have penile numbness:
- Bluish color
- Burning or cold feeling
- Pins and needles / static feeling
What Are the Causes of Penile Numbness?
1. Illness or Disease
Many people who suffer from illnesses that affect nerves experience loss of penile sensation due to nerve damage or neuropathy. Common examples of these type of diseases include:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease (penile problem due to a scar tissue that forms inside the penis)
- Venous Leak (read more here)
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Hepatitis C
- Guillain-Barré syndrome (a condition where the immune system attacks peripheral nerves)
Medication can also be a factor that can affect penile numbness. Selegiline, a common medication to treat Parkinson’s disease is an example.
2. Penile injury
The male organ is one of the parts of the body that is not often hurt. However, it could be injured due to these cases:
- Sex – The penis is most likely to be hurt during sex. This is because the penis is not flexible when it is erect. During sex, the blood flow makes the penis firm, therefore making it prone to fracture or other injuries. The use of sex toys such as cock rings can also contribute to injury.
- Intense Workout (or penis exercises like jelqing)
- Prolonged Erection (also known as Priaprism)
- Sports – According to a 2001 study, 61% of male cyclists, especially those who bike long distances experience penile numbness. This is because the bicycle seat puts pressure on the man’s genital area which affects the blood vessels that are essential for the blood flow in the region.
- Chafing – This is due to the rawness and irritation that is felt by rubbing against the penis. This can either be caused by masturbation without a lubricant or going commando.
- Penis Pumps – This is a non-invasive cylindrical suction device used to pull blood into the penis in order to achieve an erection. However, if not used properly, it can cause penile nerve damage which can manifest in the form of bruises, pain, and cuts. Read more about Penis Pump Safety.
3. Low Level of Testosterone
Also known as “Low T”, this cause is common among older people. As a person ages, the level of testosterone also decreases. This does not mean no penile sensation at all. However, there is less sensitivity and pleasure during sex.
Aside from feeling numbness in the penis, a person with Low T can experience, irritability, difficulty having an orgasm or less intense orgasm, and a small amount of ejaculation fluid.
Testosterone also affects many things such as:
- Muscle mass
- Sex drive
How Do You Treat Penile Numbness?
There are several ways to treat penile numbness. The treatment will most likely depend on the cause of erectile dysfunction and the doctor’s advice.
1. Oral or Topical Medication
Depending on the tolerance on the effectiveness of the medication, a doctor will first recommend drugs that bring back sexual functioning such as:
- Vardenafil (Lavetra)
- Tadalafil (Cialis)
- Sildenafil (Viagra)
However, these medications can cause heart problems so it’s best to check with a doctor before you take them.
The doctor may also prescribe topical creams such as Capsaicin cream. Topical creams have certain bioactive compounds that will help treat numbness, pain, burning sensation, and other symptoms of neuropathy.
2. Increasing Testosterone Level
A man’s testosterone is one of the basic components of the male sexual health. In order to raise a person’s low testosterone production, hormonal treatment may be administered through many methods. It may be one of these forms:
3. Treating the Root Cause
If penile numbness is caused by an existing disease, the only way to treat it is to address the illness.
Example, for a person suffering from MS, taking of medications such as steroids to control symptoms should be done. If the cause is diabetes, blood sugar level should be controlled.
If the cause related to excess physical activity, it is best to lessen the sport or exercise. For cycling, one can choose to do any of these things:
- Change the angle of the seat
- Invest in padded bike shorts
- Change the seat and make sure it is wider and has more padding
- Take a break or change biking position every once in a while