Jelqing is considered the most traditional and basic penile enlargement exercise. It is popular among beginners as well as advanced men in the PE community.
How to Jelq?
Preparation and warm up before you begin:
- Recommended: get in a warm shower or bath. Warm water relaxes your muscles and softens your skin.
- Optional: apply a lubricant. You can use soap if your penis is already wet. Use oil, lube, moisturizer, or cream outside of the shower. You can try dry jelqing if you are uncircumcised.
- Bonus: you can use a special cream like Bathmate Maxout (released by the same company that manufactures the most popular penis pump).
- Get your penis 70% erect. Not completely hard, but also not entirely soft. You need to be able to push blood through it.
Here are the basic steps to complete a single jelq:
- Make the OK finger gesture.
- Grip fingers around the penis close to the base of the shaft.
- Squeeze lightly and slowly slide your hand down – this should take around 3 seconds.
- Untighten your grip as your hand is sliding over the head of your penis. Do not squeeze the glans.
- Release your hand
- Repeat all steps.
It does not matter whether you put your hand over the penis or under it, as long as the thumb and index finger surround the shaft. Find the hand position you are most comfortable with. It is also good to alternate.
Avoiding Skin Pull
It is up to you whether you want to stretch your skin or not. Some men prefer more skin over their glans. Others want to focus more on the penis shaft alone. Some skin pull is actually considered good because it helps adding “thickness” to your penis. To avoid skin pull:
- Use more lubricant
- Hold your other hand at the base of the shaft to pull your skin back
- Use a softer grip
- Get your penis more erect
You should jelq 4 or 5 times per week. It is nice to take a day’s break from time to time to allow the muscles and blood vessels to recover.
Throughout your session, stroke your penis continuously without stopping. If your hand gets tired or your penis gets sore, take a break for a minute, then continue. Each session should not last longer than 15 minutes. 10 minutes per session on average is ideal.
During your shower, or immediately after you get out, your penis muscles will be more relaxed. At that time, jelqing will be more effective and more enjoyable.
If you are using a pump or an extender, always jelq when you finish using the device. Do it for (at least) a few minutes to massage your penis and redistribute the blood evenly.
Below is a sample routine you can follow. It follows our recommended “2 day break per week” advice.
- During your shower, use a penis pump (like Bathmate).
- Immediately after your shower, jelq.
- Put on a penis extender (like PHALLOSAN) and wear it overnight while you are sleeping.
|Monday||15 minutes||10 minutes||8 hours|
|Tuesday||20 minutes||15 minutes||8 hours|
|Thursday||15 minutes||10 minutes||8 hours|
|Friday||15 minutes||10 minutes||8 hours|
|Saturday||20 minutes||15 minutes||8 hours|
If your sessions are shorter than 10 minutes, you can jelq twice a day.
On the day before my rest-day, I exercise a bit more. This is just a personal preference.
Signs of a Successful Session
Not every jelqing session needs to be effective. This is normal. Here are some signs of a successful session:
- At the end of each jelq, the glans should be slightly harder from the blood that moved up.
- At the end of your session, the color of your penis head should be slightly darker.
- The area of the shaft closer to your pelvic bone should be slightly lighter.
- Overall, the penis should appear bigger and slightly redder.
- Your pee hole should be more puffed up or swollen.
Most of the signs mentioned above are indicators that blood has been pushed up your penis. This is the main goal of this exercise.
As you jelq, you stretch and massage the veins in your penis. This allows better blood flow. With better blood flow, the following benefits come:
- Harder and stronger erections
- Easier to attain and maintain erections
- More stamina during sex
- Increased penis size
Length vs. Girth gains
All jelqing exercises increase both your penis length and girth.
- For better length gains, you should jelq with a slightly less erect penis. Around 50 to 70% erect.
- For better girth gains, jelq with a harder penis. Around 80% erect.
- Never jelq 100% fully erect.
Achieving better results is very possible. However, the gains you can get when combining PE devices (pumps and extenders) are a lot larger.
It is hard for me to measure my gains with jelqing alone because I always combine it with other tools. However, I did experiment with jelqing on its own for 1 month. I found that I gained 0.2 inches. This is great because I usually lose some of my gains when I take a long break without any exercises at all.
Also, note that I am an advanced user. It is easier for beginners to see gains faster.
Gains are not permanent. You need to maintain at least some level of exercise – similar to any muscle you build in your body. This is not too difficult because jelqing once or twice a week would be enough.
For the specifics of a test ran by another user, see this chart.
Safety Tips and Dangers
Jelqing is meant to be a light and relaxing exercise. It is generally safe and there should not be any adverse side effects. Follow these tips to prevent injury or soreness in the long-run:
- DO NOT grip too tightly.
- DO NOT force blood up your glans.
- DO NOT squeeze the glans.
- DO NOT jelq too quickly. Let the some of the blood flow back down.
- If you feel pain, STOP.
- You should not ejaculate during the process.
- Fully-erect jelqing is dangerous and ineffective. It is not an “advanced technique” like some guides claim.
- If you see red or purple spots on your penis, take a break for a few days. It is not dangerous. It means you exercised intensely without warming up and broke some blood capillaries (source).
Improper use can also cause additional irritation because the machines use plastic, while manual jelqing rubs your skin using a natural way.
We do not recommend using any tools for this exercise.
Write a comment below with your experiences and reviews of this exercise.