Biromantic refers to the mindset of being romantically attracted to people of both sexes.
Being biromantic does not imply having sexual relations. Romantic relations involve holding hands, kissing, cuddling, etc. but not necessarily having sexual intercourse.
Now we will take a look at some of the combinations arising out of people having differing sexual and romantic inclinations.
- Biromantic Heterosexual – This type of personality wants to get romantically involved with both sexes but has sexual relations only with people of the opposite sex.
- Biromantic Homosexual – A person who is Biromantic Homosexual has sex with people of the same sex but is romantically involved with people of both sexes.
- Biromantic Demisexual – A Biromantic person (romantic towards both genders) that will only develop sexual attraction when a deep bond is formed.
Let us take an example of Jim and Pam – If Jim was romantically involved and had sex with Pam and also had romantic dates with Michael, Jim would be a biromantic heterosexual. On the other hand, if Jim had romantic dates with both Pam and Michael and has sexual relations only with Michael, then Jim would be a biromantic homosexual.
On the other end of the spectrum of being biromantic is being bisexual. Bisexual means being sexually interested in both men and women.
This type of personality is open to having both romantic and sexual relations with members of both sexes.
Coming back to our example, if Pam is romantically and sexually involved not only with Jim but also with Angela, then Pam qualifies as a biromantic bisexual.
Finally, we have “Asexual” and “Aromantic”. Asexual means not having sexual interest in anyone while aromantic means not having any romantic interest in others.
- Biromantic Asexual – A person who is Biromantic Asexual has no interest in having sexual relations with anyone but is romantically involved with people of both sexes.
- Aromantic Asexual – This type of personality has no interest in being involved either romantically or sexually with others.
Here are a few more related terms:
- Homoromantic Homosexual – This type of personality has only members of the same sex in mind when it comes to both romantic and sexual inclinations
- Homoromantic Heterosexual – People who label themselves as Homoromantic Heterosexuals have romantic interests in people of the same sex but have sexual relations with people of the opposite sex.
- Heteroromantic Heterosexual – This type of personality has only members of the opposite sex in mind when it comes to both romantic and sexual inclinations. A straight person would qualify for this label.
- Heteroromantic Homosexual – A Heteroromantic Homosexual has romantic interests in people of the opposite sex but has sexual.
See also, our Lithosexual meaning article.